When making the decision to seek treatment for substance abuse, many patients and their families wonder about funding it. Because of this, the cost of rehab presents both a worry and a barrier to seeking treatment. For this reason, we at Pacific Sands Recovery Center are proud to announce we work with Tricare for rehab for veterans and family members of veterans in Orange County, California.
Tricare insurance is a military health insurance program providing healthcare coverage to eligible service members, military veterans, and their families. Tricare is available to individuals who are currently serving or who have served in the Army, Marine Corps, Air Forces, Commission Core, and Coast Guard. It provides coverage for a variety of healthcare needs, including prescription drugs.
Tricare covers the majority of drug treatment and mental health services. Although Tricare is available to help fund rehab for veterans, someone does not have to be an active-duty member of the military or a veteran to use Tricare. They just need to have someone in their family who is on active duty or a veteran.
Also, they can purchase Tricare coverage if they are not eligible through someone else’s plan. Tricare has several different program options available, each with a comprehensive list of what they do and do not cover.
These programs are:
- Tricare Prime- Covers specific geographic regions throughout the United States
- Tricare Prime Remote- Covers various remote locations of the United States, and several overseas areas
- Tricare Select- Similar to Prime and more expensive, but it provides qualified members with more choices for their providers
- Tricare for Life- Optional, supplemental coverage for Medicare Part A and B members
- Tricare Reserve Select- Premium coverage for reserve service members and their families
- Tricare Retired Reserve- Premium coverage for retirees under the age of 60 and their families
- Tricare Young Adult- Covers young adults who are not qualified for other plans offered through Tricare
Individual coverage depends on the status of their service and their qualifications. In some instances, and under certain plans, it may be required of them to receive a referral from their doctor before Tricare covers the cost of their treatment.
Does Tricare Cover Rehab in Orange County, CA?
The short answer is yes—including costs associated with rehab for veterans. This is especially true if a person is worried someone they know may be struggling with substance abuse. It is important to understand what types of treatments are and are not covered by Tricare insurance.
What Substance Abuse Treatment Options Are Covered By Tricare?
Military members needing rehab and their beneficiaries may be able to receive an array of evidence-based substance abuse treatments through Tricare. Coverage will depend on the services they require, their specific plan, and other factors. Fortunately, Tricare provides a list of mental health care services that may be covered by their Tricare plan, including:
- Intensive outpatient programs- These programs provide an opportunity for individuals who are recovering from mental health or substance use disorders. They can continue their recovery in the comfort of their own home, continuing their normal day-to-day lives.
- Medication-assisted treatment- These medicines help to reduce symptoms and drug cravings. It is not a treatment recommended for everyone and will be at the doctor’s discretion. However, for many, it is a highly effective method to reduce withdrawal symptoms and eliminate someone’s addiction.
- Residential substance use disorder treatment- This program allows a person to get the dedicated help they need. Additionally, they get treatment around the clock in a safe environment. This is usually best for individuals who have severe addictions and need consistent support.
- Detoxification- Tricare’s detox treatment is designed to remove the addictive substance from the body. It is often the first step to recovery and helps reduce the intensity of symptoms caused by withdrawal.
Tricare only covers substance abuse treatments that are considered proven and that are medically necessary. For example, Aversion therapy and unproven treatments are not included among their list of acceptable substance use disorder treatments.
Does Tricare Cover Drug Rehab Out-of-Network?
Tricare covers out-of-network drug rehab to a limited degree. However, the patient may have to pay a portion of the cost. Tricare’s coverage of drug rehab is less comprehensive than it is for other types of mental health care.
If the doctor recommends a specific treatment plan that includes out-of-network drug rehab, the patient will need to ask if their Tricare insurance will cover the full cost. If not, they will need to find out how much Tricare will pay. Then they will also have to find out how much they will need to pay out-of-pocket. Call us today to find out what specific policies cover at Pacific Sands Recovery Center.
What If Insurance Does Not Cover Everything?
Most of the time, health insurance covers a good portion of the treatment cost. However, someone might still be responsible for some out-of-pocket costs. Understanding what services one’s insurance plan will or will not cover is a crucial step of exploring treatment options.
Fortunately, for those covered by Tricare, multiple options are available. Here at Pacific Sands Recovery Center, we can walk someone through all of their options to find the best fit. In doing this, we hope to help patients—especially veterans needing rehab—take full advantage of Tricare for drug rehab in Orange County, California.
Certain Tricare plans require patients to only use providers and facilities that are in-network. In contrast, other plans will pay for treatment received outside of their network. However, the cost of using an in-network provider or facility will be significantly cheaper than using an out-of-network facility. We are committed to helping all our clients and future clients understand the details of their coverage, and all of the available payment options.
Tricare for Drug Rehab in Orange County, CA
Choosing a drug rehab center is stressful enough without having to worry about your insurance. That is why, at Pacific Sands Recovery Center, we are committed to ensuring you are covered. We help you find the Tricare rehab plan that best works for you so that you can focus on getting back to everyday life.
To learn more about Tricare for drug rehab in Orange County, California, visit our admissions page.